Grants of up to $1,000 to USA nonprofit organizations and educational institutions for Japanese language education events. Applicants must contact the funding source prior to submitting an application. The purpose of the program is to motivate a large number of Japanese-language learners in multiple schools featuring different educational levels (primary, secondary, collegiate levels, and adults) and promote Japanese-language education in the area.
The Japan Foundation, Los Angeles provides financial support for Japanese-language related events on the national/statewide/region-wide levels (speech contests, quiz contests, or presentational events, etc.)
Eligible Items for Support:
Expenses for inviting judges/guests to the event (honorarium, transportation, accommodation)
Expenses for venue (rental fee for venue and equipment, service fee for tech support, etc.)
Prize expenses for participating Japanese-language learners (no cash prizes)
Production costs for handouts/programs/flyers of the event
Group transportation costs for participants/student audiences (charter buses, vans, etc.)
Applicants must be non-profit institutions/organizations involved in Japanese language education in the U.S.
Applicants must have a bank account in the institution’s name capable of accepting grants from the Japan Foundation. Bank account may also be opened before the grant payment. Receipt of grants or benefits from the Japan Foundation must not violate any laws or ordinances, etc.
Individuals are not eligible to apply.
Proposed events cannot be implemented for commercial, political, or religious purposes.
Closed events for a single school are not eligible.
In principle, the Japan Foundation does not provide grants for:
- The U.S. government, including their administrative organs such as ministries and their embassies and consulates-general in Japan; excluding academic, cultural, or research institutes such as universities and museums
- Institutions/organizations to which the Japanese government currently makes financial contributions
- Institutions/organizations whose laws restrict them from receiving aid from foreign organizations affiliated with governments
- Institutions/organizations which serve commercial, political, or religious purposes
The following expenses are not eligible for support:
- Banquet costs and entertainment costs
- Expenses for any food or drinks
- Indirect costs (administrative costs) not related to the grant project
- Rental fees for halls owned by the applying institution/organization or group
- Any administrative costs of the managing division (staff salary, office supplies, etc.)
- Expenses related to holding general meetings which are regularly held by the applicant regardless of the event
- March 1, 2023 (for projects to be held between 4/1/2023 and 3/31/2024)
- September 1, 2023 (for projects to be held between 11/1/2023 and 3/31/2024)
Please be sure to inform JFLA of your intent to apply for the grant via the email address listed below prior to submitting your application.
Estimated Size of Grant
Up to $1,000
Term of Contract
- Applications received by March 1 are for projects to be held between 4/1 and 3/31.
- Applications received by September 1 are for projects to be held between 11/1 and 3/31.
Please be sure to inform JFLA at firstname.lastname@example.org of your intent to apply for the grant prior to submitting your application.
A complete application form with handwritten signature must be submitted, by postal mail or email (scan), to the JFLA office on or before the deadline.
The Japan Foundation, Los Angeles
Mike Penny, Associate Program Officer
5700 Wilshire Blvd. #100
Los Angeles, CA 90036