The purpose of the Second Chance Act (SCA) Community-based Reentry Incubator Initiative is to build programmatic, financial, and organizational capacity in community-based organizations and faith-based institutions to provide sustainable and transitional services to people leaving incarceration that focus on community and family reintegration, building strengths-based assets, and reducing recidivism (including reducing arrests, new charges, convictions for new offenses, and reincarceration).
BJA is open to a range of models to be used by intermediary organizations serving as fiscal agents. The organization may focus on CBOs in a particular city, region, or have a more national scope. These approaches should seek to build capacities that can be sustained by local or regional partners at the end of the project. The intermediary organization is expected to competitively award subawards in collaboration with BJA and provide TTA support to the selected CBOs implementing new reentry programs or expanding existing programs. The applicant should propose a pass-through amount for the subawardees, an administrative amount to be retained by the applicant, and, if applicable, an amount to contract and manage a process evaluation. BJA expects applicants to retain 30 percent of their budget to support their work as intermediaries and to pass the other 70 percent to competitively selected subawardees.
BJA will award two organizations that can demonstrate capacity to make competitive subawards and provide training and technical assistance. The selected providers will take on the fiscal and administrative responsibility of these subawards to include an application process to request proposals; training and coaching subawardees in case management development and service provision designed to ensure that the transition from prison or jail to the community is safe and successful; and conducting virtual, in-person site visits to assess each subawardee’s efficacy, as well as, an independent process evaluation of the Community-based Reentry Incubator Initiative.
Goals, Objectives, and Deliverables: https://bja.ojp.gov/funding/O-BJA-2023-171692.pdf#page=8
Estimated Total Program Funding: